Unoccupied Insurance

house 270px 3

75% of customers could get a cheaper quote over the phone *

Call now on and Quote Ref WSS01


Click "Get Quotes" below

Quote House

I want to insure my house whilst it is unoccupied

Get Quotes
Quote Telephone Box

Please call me to discuss unoccupied insurance

Request a Callback
Quote Shop

I want to insure my unoccupied commercial building

Get Quotes


  • Short term cover with no cancellation charge
  • Interest free direct debit available
  • Comprehensive cover available
  • Immediate Cover
  • Policies can include theft & malicious damage
  • Contents cover available for unoccupied property

Unoccupied Property Insurance

A standard home insurance policy is not suitable for a domestic property that is unoccupied. Many of the valued features of home insurance or landlords insurance would be invalid if the property were left unoccupied for a significant period.

Most owner occupied and landlords insurance policies have a specified period after which cover is reduced should the property remain unoccupied; typically this is 30-60 days. For a property that is to remain unoccupied a vacant property insurance policy would be necessary.

If your property is only to be unoccupied for a short period then a home insurance policy or landlords insurance could still be suitable. UKinsurancenet Zurich Property Insurance policy allows the property to be unoccupied for a period of 90 days before a reduction of cover applies. This is longer than many other empty property insurance policies and provides greater peace of mind where a property is to remain untenanted for a short period. Unoccupied property insurance is also known as empty property insurance or vacant property insurance. 

As with most other there are different cover options available:-

  • Buildings Insurance.

  • Contents Insurance.

  • Public Liability Insurance for Buildings.

  • Public Liability Insurance for Contents.

If the property is used for any commercial purposes this will again require a different policy. Standard commercial buildings insurance would not be suitable for a property that will remain unoccupied for any length of time. A specialist unoccupied commercial property insurance would need to be put in place. A residential unoccupied property insurance policy would also be unsuitable as a commercial property would be an unacceptable risk to insurers.

If you have any queries about your requirements please do not hesitate to contact one of our advisors.



* 75% of all customers receiving an online quote in May 2017 could have obtained a cheaper quote over the phone, based on the information they provided